Joe Paterno And His Widow, Sue, Are Teaching Us Lessons…

Our newspaper received the letter by e-mail with the statement, that said:

” As I have mentioned numerous times with the news media and the Dr Phil Show, as a victim of Ed Savitz & Jerry Sandusky child sex trafficking ring between the years of 1977-1980, myself and other troubled kids from the South Philadelphia Boys Club where Ed Savitz would often bring us kids to attend PSU & Eagles football games alongside kids from The Second Mile Foundation in addition to my two officially meeting Jerry Sandusky back in 1979 and 1980 as I attempted to enroll into the The Second Mile Foundation.

What I remember most back then, whether it was my two official times meeting Jerry Sandusky in 1979 & 1980 or the numerous times Ed Savitz would scold us kids from the South Philly Boys Club regarding our troubled behavior and vocal outburst while traveling to and from PSU & Eagles football games where Joe Paterno may have been in attendance, one thing is crystal clear and that is Ed Savitz and Jerry Sandusky took great lengths in concealing the child sex trafficking activity from Joe Paterno and others from PSU.

Savitz & Sandusky would scold us kids and they clearly made it a point to tell us that if Joe Paterno were to find out about the child sex trafficking, us kids would get into trouble and all of the drugs, alcohol, special favors and gifts would come to and end. Even though I never officially knew Joe Paterno or what he looked like back then, when it was rumored that Joe Paterno was in the area many of us kids felt safe because Ed Savitz, Sandusky and others pedophile types associated with this child sex trafficking ring would not sexually touch or solicit us kids.

With letter and report, Paternos step up efforts to clear coach’s reputation. In closing it was my belief back then and my strong belief today 2013 that Joe Paterno was a man of high integrity & dignity and from my experience as a victim of these horrible sex acts, Joe Paterno had no involvement or knowledge of what Ed Savitz, Jerry Sandusky or others associated with this child sexual abuse connected to The Second Mile Foundation and the South Philly Boys Club were doing to sexually abuse & exploit us kids.       Respectfully
Gregory Bucceroni
Crime Victim Advocate
PO Box 22714
Philadelphia, PA 19110
267-918-9797
Cocot50@aol.com”

In the same time  State Sen. John Yudichak (D-Luzerne/Carbon/Monroe) released the following statement concerning the new report on the Jerry Sandusky scandal commissioned by the Paterno family.

“Yet again, the late Joe Paterno and his widow, Sue, are teaching us lessons on how to deal with life’s challenges by imploring us to seek the full truth in the Jerry Sandusky scandal because only the truth can serve Sandusky’s victims and prevent such heinous crimes from occurring again.”

“The concerns raised by former Attorney General of the United States and former Pennsylvania Governor Dick Thornburgh substantively and dramatically pull apart the weak threads of the Freeh report’s core conclusion that Joe Paterno acted within a group of leaders at Penn State to conceal Sandusky’s actions to avoid bad publicity.”

“Governor Thornburgh’s analysis busts the door wide open on the fundamentally flawed investigation embodied in the Freeh report that relied on anonymous testimony, limited data, and virtually no personal interviews of the central individuals involved as the basis of its broad, speculative conclusions.”

“It appears the Penn State Board of Trustees, in commissioning the Freeh report, simply wanted to close the narrative on the Sandusky scandal by accepting the report without question and allowing it to be used as the foundation for the devastating NCAA sanctions. The rush to close the narrative has not pushed us closer to the truth and it has not served to advance efforts to help the victims of Jerry Sandusky and the prevention of child sexual abuse.”

“I am convinced that the leadership of the Board of Trustees, at the time the Sandusky scandal broke, failed in its primary role of stewardship and should have sought an outside investigation of the University governance issues by the special committee of General Assembly – which was clearly independent of the board and possessed full subpoena power to compel accurate testimony for the record.”

“I continue to work with colleagues, Democrats and Republicans, who are concerned about the governance procedures at Penn State and our other state related universities. I am encouraged that Sen. Smucker will soon undertake State Government committee hearings on these issues, and I plan to offer him my full support in coming to a thoughtful remedy that enhances the operational governance structures at our universities.”

“It is my fervent hope that the Paterno report spurs further dialogue on how child sex abuse is dealt with in our society, and that, as Sue Paterno noted, an ‘actionable set of lessons’ can be taken from this terrible tragedy and our children can be better protected in the future.”

“A final, obvious, conclusion from the Paterno report is that the NCAA acted recklessly by imposing crushing sanctions upon Penn State without conducting its own investigation; instead, the incomplete and inaccurate conclusions from the Freeh report became the solitary basis for its unprecedented actions.”

Bookmark and Share

5 Comments

1. Tom says:

It makes me feel good that some of the truth about the great man that Joe Paterno was is finally getting out. Hail to the Lion.

2. Jeffrey Imm says:

In the words of Jay Paterno, “whatever happened to personal responsibility?” If you were a leader of a college organization, whether it was the football team or the drama club, and you were told your facility was being used by people you had hired to rape little boys, wouldn’t you take on the personal responsibility to ensure that something was DONE about it? But in this case, there is a concerted effort to ignore such personal responsibility for someone who was popular with Pennsylvanians. What a disgrace.

3. sc70s says:

No, Jeffrey. You have spent a great deal of time trolling but obviously NO TIME looking into the facts of this situation: JVP was NOT told of ANY rapes. The source of that lie was the grand jury presentment, authored by the AG office. The jury did not convict Sandusky on that Lie. Whatever happened to your OWN personal responsibility?

• Jeffrey Imm says:

Baloney. Mr. Joe Paterno admitted about what he was told in his own words during his own Grand Jury Testimony that came out in November 2011. It is clear that he did nothing about this, other than tell Curley. Once again in the words of Jay Paterno, “whatever happened to personal responsibility?” Now that is something you won’t read in the “Paterno report.”

The date is January 12th, 2011, 11:06 a.m. The questions were asked by Ms. Jonelle Eshbach, Witness, Joseph V. Paterno.
      Q: Would you please introduce yourself to the Grand Jury?
      Mr. Paterno: My name is Joseph V. Paterno.
      Q: I’m sure everyone in the room knows, but just in case there’s anyone that doesn’t, how are you employed?

Mr. Paterno: I’m a football coach at the Pennsylvania State University.
      Q: As that football coach at the Pennsylvania State University, did you have as employed under you an individual by the name of Jerry Sandusky?

Mr. Paterno: I did for a while, yes.
      Q: Do you currently have employed for you since sometime in the early 2000s an assistant coach named Michael McQueary?
      Mr. Paterno: Yes.
      Q: I’d like to direct your attention to what I believe would be a spring break of 2002, around that time. Do you recall Michael McQueary calling you and asking to have a discussion with you about something that he observed?
      Mr. Paterno: I’m not sure of the date, but he did call me on a Saturday morning. He said he had something that he wanted to discuss. I said, come on over to the house.
      He came over to the house.
      And as I said, I’m not sure what year it was, but I know it was a Saturday morning and we discussed something he had seen.
      Q: Without getting into any graphic detail, what did Mr. McQueary tell you he had seen and where?
      Mr. Paterno: Well, he had seen a person, an older — not an older, but a mature person who was fondling, whatever you might call it — I’m not sure what the term would be — a young boy.
      Q: Did he identify who that older person was?
      Mr. Paterno: Yes, a man by the name of Jerry Sandusky who had been one of our coaches, was not at the time.
      Q: You’re saying that at the time this incident was reported to you, Sandusky was no longer a coach?
      Mr. Paterno: No, he had retired voluntarily. I’m not sure exactly the year, but I think it was either ‘98 or ‘99.
      Q: I think you used the term fondling. Is that the term that you used?
      Mr. Paterno: Well, I don’t know what you would call it. Obviously, he was doing something with the youngster.
      It was a sexual nature. I’m not sure exactly what it was.
      I didn’t push Mike to describe exactly what it was because he was very upset. Obviously, I was in a little bit of a dilemma since Mr. Sandusky was not working for me anymore.
      So I told — I didn’t go any further than that except I knew Mike was upset and I knew some kind of inappropriate action was being taken by Jerry Sandusky with a youngster.
      Q: Did Mike McQueary tell you where he had seen this inappropriate conduct take place?
      Mr. Paterno: In the shower.
      Q: Where was the shower?
      Mr. Paterno: In the Lasch Building.
      Q: Is that on the campus of Penn State University?
      Mr. Paterno: It’s right on the campus.
      Q: Did you tell Mike McQueary at that time what you were going to do with that information that he had provided to you?
      Mr. Paterno: I don’t know whether I was specific or not. I did tell Mike, Mike, you did what was right; you told me.
      Even though Jerry does not work for the football staff any longer, I would refer his concerns to the right people.
      Q: You recall this taking place on a Saturday morning, the conversation with Mike?
      Mr. Paterno: Yes.
      Q: When did you — did you do something with that information?
      Mr. Paterno: Well, I can’t be precise.
      I ordinarily would have called people right away, but it was a Saturday morning and I didn’t want to interfere with their weekends.
      So I don’t know whether I did it Saturday or did it early the next week.
      I’m not sure when, but I did it within the week.
      Q: To whom or with whom did you share the information that McQueary had given you?
      Mr. Paterno: I talked to my immediate boss, our athletic director.
      Q: What is that person’s name?
      Mr. Paterno: Tim Curley.
      Q: How did you contact Mr. Curley?
      Mr. Paterno: I believe I did it by phone. As I recall, I called him and I said, hey, we got a problem, and I explained the problem to him.
      Q: Was the information that you passed along substantially the same information that Mr. McQueary had given you?
      Mr. Paterno: Yes.
      Q: Other than the incident that Mike McQueary reported to you, do you know in any way, through rumor, direct knowledge or any other fashion, of any other inappropriate sexual conduct by Jerry Sandusky with young boys?
      Mr. Paterno: I do not know of anything else that Jerry would be involved in of that nature, no. I do not know of it.
      You did mention — I think you said something about a rumor. It may have been discussed in my presence, something else about somebody.
      I don’t know.
      I don’t remember, and I could not honestly say I heard a rumor.
      Q: You indicated that your report was made directly to Tim Curley. Do you know of that report being made to anyone else that was a university official?
      Mr. Paterno: No, because I figured that Tim would handle it appropriately.
      I have a tremendous amount of confidence in Mr. Curley and I thought he would look into it and handle it appropriately.
      Q: We have no further questions of you.
      Testimony concluded at 11:13 a.m. Date, January 12, 2011, 11:20 a.m.

4. Tom says:

Jeffrey Imm,

While you post is poignant, you might try to attempt to incorporate some accuracy in your next one. Who in the world told Joe Paterno that his “facility” was being used to rape little boys? Mike McQueary, I am sure you’ll contend? There is zero evidence of such a conversation. Zero. Quite the contrary, if you knew the layout of the locker room, you’d realize that makes it, along with other reasons, impossible for McQueary to have witnessed such a thing.

You might want to take a look at the report the Paterno’s commissioned, especially the part Jim Clemente penned. You know, Jim Clemente, the FBI profiler and federal prosecutor that is a renouned expert on child sexual abuse. He himself was a victim. Read what this expert says about how Sandusky was a master manipulator and it’s likely that he operated with such precision that those close to him (which wouldn’t include Paterno anyhow) never realized the monster he was.

Then again, it’s much easier to join the clueless, sound byte masses that watch five minutes on ESPN and conclude that they know better than a bonafied expert.