Doctors from BluePearl Veterinary Partners are encouraging pet parents to pay attention to the serious problem facing an estimated 54 percent of America’s pets.
According to last year’s survey by the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention, an estimated 58 percent of cats and 53 percent of dogs in the U.S. are considered overweight or obese.
In addition to a decreased life-expectancy, animals who are overweight are at risk for cranial cruciate ligament injury, heart and respiratory disease, insulin resistance and type-2 diabetes, as well as osteoarthritis.
“Pet obesity is one of the most preventable health problems facing America’s pets,” said Dr. Jennifer Welser, chief medical officer of BluePearl Veterinary Partners. “Too much weight can age a pet, just like a person. Taking steps to help pets stay in shape can make a major improvement in their quality of life.”
Here are a few tips from BluePearl veterinarians for helping your pet slim down:
- Schedule regular check-ups with your family veterinarian. He or she can help evaluate your pet’s size and make recommendations about diet.
- Your family vet can also help you determine whether you’re feeding your pet the correct portion size.
- Don’t feed pets table scraps and take it easy with treats. Don’t confuse food with love!
- Get your pet moving. Exercise is as important for pets as it is for people.
- If your pet is obese, start your exercise program slowly. It’s okay to start with something as simple as a walk around the block.
For more information about National Pet Obesity Awareness day, contact your veterinarian and visit: https://www.petobesityprevention.com/
About BluePearl Veterinary Partners
BluePearl Veterinary Partners employs 3,000 team members including more than 600 veterinarians. BluePearl hospitals offer referral-only, specialty care services and most offer 24-hour emergency care. BluePearl does not provide primary care. The company is one of the world’s principal providers of approved veterinary residency and internship programs. BluePearl also participates in clinical trials that investigate the effectiveness of new veterinary drugs and treatments, providing pet families access to cutting-edge medicine that is not yet commercially available. BluePearl is headquartered in Tampa FL